A Non-Profit Self-Help Organization Dedicated to Information, Support, Education, and Advocacy for People Who Do Not Hear Well and Those Around Them
Regaining Control of Your Life Through Self-Help Groups
Twelve Reasons Why Self-help Groups are Good for You
- Provide a community of people with hearing loss who understand and are empathic to your unique problems
- Help you deal with the issues of hearing loss stigma.
- Will help you understand your legal rights as a person with a hearing loss
- Will teach you coping and communication strategies.
- Will help you adjust and communicate your needs in a “hearing” workplace.
- Will share technologies beyond your hearing aids that will enhance your ability to function in the world.
- Will educate you on technologies and strategies for ensuring your safety.
- Will show you how to stay tuned into family conversations.
- Will suggest strategies for communicating in noisy situations.
- Will show you how to accommodate your hearing loss while traveling
- Will empower you through exchange of knowledge, encouragement and the sharing of experiences.
- Will alleviate the despair and isolation of hearing loss through their support.
Source of Information:
“Regaining Control of Your Life through Self-help Groups” by Brenda Battat, HLAA Executive Director.